If there’s one thing I’m good at, it’s making the required pieces for a project; attaching them to each other is another matter.
On the Facebook Pin Loom Weaving Support Group we’re working on two weave-alongs. One is a darling party dress for an 18″ doll—pattern courtesy of Hazel Spencer from Hazel Rose Looms. I’m working on the pieces for it.
Skip on over to Hazel’s blog for info on the lacy edge stitch she created for the skirt hem. I’m not sure if she wanted me to share the pattern on my blog or not, so to be safe, I won’t. You can join the Facebook group and find the instructions in the Files section.
Stay tuned for more updates on my Party Dress Progress.
View finished dress here: Doll Dress Weave-Along Finale.
I’ve made some headway on my Christmas Gnome from Deborah Bagley’s Christmas Pin Loom Set.
I got my gnome’s body pieces sewn together, only to discover that “Weave six green squares” means SIX NOT FIVE. Lucky for me though, I didn’t weave that sixth square in the pattern stitch. It’s the base of the gnome, so I think it will be better in plain weave.
I’m always a little amazed when things turn out easier than I expected, aren’t you? Attaching the square to the plastic canvas was A BREEZE! Attaching the canvas to the gnome body was only a little bit challenging—note: make sure to slightly ease in fullness as you sew instead of all at once like I had to do. Also note: I elected to stitch wrong side out and I took most of my stitches through the canvas as well as the green square. This worked out very well.
The GREAT CHALLENGE: that nose, that very necessary nose.
I thought I could create an easier way to position the nose on the face, but it didn’t work out. Instead, follow the directions.
The difficulty I had was getting the nose centered on the face. I doubled the cinching loop and kept it loose while I gently wrestled the nose into position. I had all this extra cinching yarn left over, so I poked it through to the inside and secured the back of the nose so the stuffing wouldn’t work its way out. (We want the gnome to keep his stuffy nose!)
I got my guy’s body all ready and started in on the hat (without stuffing him first).
I made the required number of hat squares in the “Horizontal Xs” pattern stitch, then lined them all up for joining purposes.
I started sewing them together—2-4 edges to 1-3 edges. This resulted in a stairstep-looking lower edge . . .
. . . so I’m in the process of taking them apart with the idea that turning them all one-quarter turn clockwise and joining 1-2 edges to 3-4 edges will not adversely affect the outcome of the hat and will give me a more satisfactory joining experience.
Soon I’ll have the gnome on his feet, stuffed to the gills, hat on head. Arms and hands to follow. Then I’ll tackle the beard . . .