Pin Loom Snowman (Tutorial posted with permission of designer)
Design by Deborah Bagley (see “Christmas Pin Loom Pattern Set” in YarnovationsShop on Etsy)
- Worsted weight white yarn, 8 yards, for body (wool yarn recommended).
- Contrast worsted weight yarn, 8 yards, for hat. Optional: you can use a triangle loom. (Wool yarn recommended.)
- Optional: fingering, sock, or sport weight yarn for scarf (or you can twist the white and contrast color together, then fray the ends, to make the scarf)
- Optional small crochet hook for scarf (size D or E 3.25/3.5 mm)
- Black felt for eyes, mouth, and buttons; orange felt for nose
- Optional: black yarn or embroidery thread for eyes, etc.
- Sticks for arms (could use wire or possibly thin chenille stems)
- Optional: 10 mm jingle bell or pompon for hat
- Polyfil and white beans for filling
- Weaving kit (4” loom, weaving needle, packing fork, scissors, sewing needle)
- Weave one white 4” square. Leave a few inches for the beginning tail (to be used later for sewing) and wrap 5 times around pins + 1 or 2 inches to measure yarn.
- Fold square in half (corner 3 to Cr4, Cr1 to Cr2). Use weaving tail to sew a double running stitch (or whipstitch) seam to create a rectangular tube. Gather/cinch bottom of tube tightly closed by sewing through scallop loops; secure stitches. Turn right side out.
- Fill lower 2/3 of tube with beans and Polyfil. (Wrap beans in Polyfil to keep beans from showing through; stuff into snowman.) Fill upper 1/3 with only Polyfil. (The beans give the snowman some weight, so they’re optional.) DON’T FILL TOO FULL: head and neck will be cinched which takes up some room.
- Gather/cinch head closed.
- Weave one 4” square in contrast color (5 pin wraps). (Optional: use 4” triangle loom to make hat. This allows you to have a floppier hat. You will not need to fold the piece into a triangle.)
- Fold woven square in half, forming a triangle, then fold the triangle in half, right sides together. Sew a double running stitch (or whipstitch) seam along the scalloped edge. Turn right side out. (I fold the square nearly in half for the triangle which makes for a thinner seam and a little more of an opening for the head to fit in.)
- Optional: add decorative stitch along lower edge of hat.
- Attach bell to point of hat. If desired, pull yarn (and secure) to give the hat a little bit of a bend. (If using a triangle, the hat is more bendy and has a scalloped brim. See photo at the end of tutorial.)
- Use a small crochet hook and thin yarn to make the scarf. Crochet a chain about 7.5 inches.
- Add extra fringe at the ends of the scarf and knot in place.
- Optional: Use worsted weight yarn and twist the pieces individually, then ply them together. Knot ends and fray those bits of yarn to make fringe.
FACE AND BUTTONS, FINAL ASSEMBLY
- Cut mouth, eyes, and buttons from black felt. Cut a small triangle from orange felt. (Optional: you can embroider the features or use real buttons. I sew the eyes with black yarn, but use felt for the rest.)
- Try the features on his face with the hat to get a good placement. (A space of two white threads between the eyes works well for me.)
- About 1” down from top, tie white yarn around the stuffed tube to form the neck. Tie in front and back. (These knots will be covered with the scarf.)
- Glue the features and buttons on the snowman. Put a line of glue around the lower inside edge of hat and press into place on snowman head.
- Tie scarf around his neck. (You may want to do this before gluing.)
- Add twig arms on either side, by poking them into the body. (I recommend NOT gluing them. In case they break you can easily replace them.)